Wednesday, 24 July 2013

Going green

Sweet boy saw a butterfly for the first time this week. He was fascinated. He sat so still, with that furrowed brow and pursed lips, just looking. He didn't make any attempt to grab or snatch at the butterfly, it was almost as if he knew that any movement would frighten it off. 

Yesterday, Leila had an impromptu sleepover at grandma and grandad's. We all went over for lunch and Leila was having such a good time that she wanted to stay. Harry was initially overjoyed by this one-on-one mama time but by this morning, he was moping around and peering out the window a lot. They greeted one another with a few shoves and grabs but I know they were happy to see each other really! 


This morning, I woke up extra-early to to paint our front door. When we bought the house, the door was a faded, shabby black. It must have been painted years ago and it made the porch look horribly dark and gloomy. I've been waiting for some good weather as the paint required 16 hours of drying time and the door would need to be open all this time . This weekend, we discussed colours and had a good nosy at other doors in the neighbourhood....




...and ta da
We chose green as I thought it would brighten the porch but also complement the 1930's features in the house-especially the stained glass. I am so happy with it, although not so happy about the second coat I need to apply next week! It wasn't actually too bad having the door open, I just put a baby gate/room divider across the hallway to stop little babies wandering! It didn't take long to paint but all the neighbours have swung by to admire it, so I can only presume they were as fed up with our gloomy porch as we were!



It is so nice to feel that the house is finally coming together, although it feels rather one step forward-two steps back. Thanks to the new painted door, the front of the house looks much smarter although it has now shown up the fact that the front garden needs some work. Ah well, baby steps, baby steps!


10 comments:

  1. Lovely post. Just over from blog hop. Please do my door x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any time :) As soon as I've got round to finishing my second coat....

      Delete
  2. Love the concentration and his furrowed brow - gorgeous! And that door looks fab - we have a green front door so it's just what I'd have chosen, too :-) #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurrah for green doors. Think they look so timeless. Thanks so much for reading

      Delete
  3. Bless him with the butterfly! The front door looks lovely now..it all really goes together! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The door looks very inkeeping #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh first butterfly spotting! :) So cute! And that door is looking FAB! I really need to focus on little projects like that. I realize that we've now been in our home for two years...we've done so many big projects inside that outside has been neglected! I never take any photos with our front door in them...hmm, what a difference a coat of paint makes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree-we focused so much on the inside too! Everyone on our block has super neat and pretty front gardens so I was beginning to get embarrassed by our exterior! Now I just need to work on the garden...

      Delete
  6. The front door looks amazing - really supersmart. I adore butterflies - spotting so many now we have moved to Somerset. not sure if it was already like that or just because of the lovely weather :). Thank you for linking to PoCoLo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something so summery about watching butterflies. I think Harry was baffled-is it a bird? is it a plane :) Thanks for reading!

      Delete

I always love to read your comments!